Data Visualization Web Developer (Part-Time, Remote)
Crow Insight is an award-winning information design firm committed to helping public-interest organizations understand and communicate data. We call it “illuminating data.” Examples of our work can be found here: www.CrowInsight.com/gallery.
We are an equal-opportunity business with less than 10 full-time and part-time employees. Our employees work remotely but we have a strong preference for residents of: MD, DC, VA, MA, FL, OH, WA, NY, CO, CA and TX.
We are seeking a developer of web-based data visualizations
who will have the opportunity to collaborate directly with a senior expert in data visualization and communication, as well as senior designers, editors and developers. In the near term, the developer is expected to support implementation of online dashboards, benchmarking tools, and related information products (like methodological explanations).
The candidate should:
- LOVE helping people do good with data
- Have bachelor’s degree (or significant equivalent experience and appropriate certifications) in computer science, web development or similar field
- Exhibit good intuition for aesthetic and interface design
We require the following demonstrated skills/experience:
- D3.js (essential)
- Developing and using APIs for passing data (both directions)
- Knowledge of cross-browser compatibility
- Data and analytics literacy
- Demonstrated proficiency with Git, Bitbucket or similar repositories
- Volunteer or professional experience working for the public interest, such as work with nonprofits, foundations, education, government organizations, political campaigns, journalism, corporate social responsibility, etc.
Bonus Points for Experience in:
- Advanced mapping applications, particularly with D3.js
- Scripting/development in the R universe (R, RStudio, etc.)
- Agile/scrum processes (especially using JIRA)
- Experience with UI/UX, accessibility and responsive design
- Drupal and WordPress
- Tableau, or other data visualization software and/or libraries
- ETL tools/scripting
- Development of interactive storytelling experiences
- Knowledge of statistics
Required Professional Skills:
- Clear and timely communication, reflecting an awareness of the needs of your colleagues and clients
- Meticulous, detail-oriented and organized
- Ensure code complies with modern best-practices and community standards
- Develop and maintain solid documentation
- Ability to prioritize assigned work and complete in a timely manner
- Ability to be adaptive and flexible within deadline-driven due dates
- Ability to thrive while working independently or collaboratively within a team; work with other team members in problem-solving and debugging
- Have access to a private and quiet place with reliable telecommunication for online meetings (e.g., your home rather than your favorite Starbucks)
What You Get:
- Part-time, flexible, W-2 status. A freelancer-style arrangement in hours, scheduling, etc. (We currently anticipate 8-16 hours per week for the next 10 months, although there may be weeks where the workload is above or below that range.)
- Expected pay rate of $35-$55 per hour, depending upon qualifications
- Get paid for all work, unlike freelancing
- Tax withholding (employer-responsibility tax component paid), unlike freelancing
- 401(k) opportunity with employer match
- Monthly direct deposit payroll
- Moonlighting (working with other organizations) acceptable if you can meet expectations and avoid conflicts of interest
- Potential for long-term working relationship
Other Requirements of Position
- Must use Crow Insight email address for all (and only) work-related communication
- Must complete online timesheet, and time entries must be timely and accurate
- Will not be issued a computer by Crow Insight, and personal devices used for the work must meet our security and backup requirements (at our expense if configuration changes or software additions are necessary)
- Occasional availability during the business day for online webinars (or face-to-face if schedule and logistics allow), quiet setting, good connectivity.
- Existing US work authorization needed
- Strong preference for residents of: MD, DC, VA, MA, FL, OH, WA, NY, CO, CA and TX.
- We conduct a standard criminal background check on new employees and use E-verify
- We are an equal opportunity employer
How to Respond:
Apply directly to Crow Insight by sending an email to DataVizDeveloper2019 [at] CrowInsight [dot] com no later than February 10, 2019 (sooner is better, because we may conduct a rolling review process).
Your email must include the following:
- “Data Viz Developer Application” in the subject header
- How you learned of the position (e.g., indeed)
- City and state in which you live
- Explanation of why you would be a good fit for the position and Crow Insight
- Links to recent, relevant functioning examples of your work, as well as code samples
Top candidates may be asked to provide references and relevant higher education transcripts/certifications.